My mum makes magnificent continental baked cheesecake, and the many people who have tasted it or heard about it, have asked for her recipe, so here it is for the very first time on the World Wide Web. ~ Anton K
CONTiNENTAL BAKED CHEESECAKE RECiPE
by Valerie Kressnig
CAKE BASE iNGREDiENTS:
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 125g unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2/3rd cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 dessertspoon milk
- 250g (half a packet) Continental Slicing Creamed Cottage Cheese*
- 2/3rd cup raw sugar
- 1/3rd cup light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 large eggs
MAKiNG The CONTiNENTAL BAKED CHEESECAKE:
CAKE BASE: Cream butter and sugar, beat until fluffy. Add eggs, beating well. Stir in milk, vanilla essence and sifted flour. Spread over the baking paper lined bottom of a greased and lightly floured 22cm springform pan. Slightly hollow out centre.
FiLLiNG: Cream cheese and sugar together. Add sour cream and vanilla essence. Mix, add eggs, beat well. Spoon filling over base.
BAKE in a moderately slow oven 170C (no fan) for 50 minutes. Leave in oven for a further 30 minutes with the oven turned off. This will stop the cake from cracking.
This cake freezes well, therefore mixture can be doubled to bake two at once.
HiSTORY OF THE CHEESECAKE
The first cheesecake is considered to have been created at Samos, a Greek island where anthropologists excavated cheese molds dated circa 2000 B.C.
The Greeks are believed to have served cheesecake to the athletes at the 1st Olympic Games at Olympia in 776 BC. Cheesecake was considered to be a good source of energy for the ancient Olympic athletes. The Greeks were also known to use cheesecakes for wedding cakes, made simply from flour, wheat, honey and cheese, then baked.
The earliest writings mentioning a cheesecake were made in 500 BC, by the Greek physician Aegimus aka Aegimius (Αίγιμος aka Αιγίμιος) who wrote plakountopoiikon suggramma (πλακουντοποιικόν σύγγραμμα), a book on the art of making cheesecakes. Aegimus from Velia in Lucania, was one of the most ancient Greek physicians, and said to be the first person who wrote a treatise on the pulse, when he supposedly lived before the time of Hippocrates.
The oldest known surviving Greek cheesecake recipe is credited to the writer Athenaeus in 230 A.D. The recipe was quite simple ~ pound the cheese until smooth and pasty, mix the pounded cheese in a brass pan with honey and spring wheat flour, then heat, allow to cool and serve.
The Romans adopted the cheesecake with the conquest of Greece. Cato the Elder‘s De Agri Cultura included 2 recipes for cakes for religious uses: libum and placenta. The placenta recipe is most like most modern cheesecakes, with a crust that is separately prepared and baked.
DONNA HAY’S CLASSiC BAKED CHEESECAKE Masterchef Australia series 3 YouTube video:
DONNA HAY’S CLASSiC BAKED CHEESECAKE RECIPE from Masterchef Australia series 3
- 1/3 cup ground almonds (almond meal)
- ¾ cup plain flour
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 90g chilled butter, chopped
- 330g cream cheese, softened
- 500g fresh ricotta
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ tablespoons cornflour
- 1½ tablespoons water
Strawberries and raspberries, to decorate
- 1. Preheat oven to 150°C.
- 2. To make the base, place the ground almonds, flour, sugar and butter into a bowl. Rub mixture with your fingertips until it forms coarse crumbs.
- 3. Line the base of a 20cm spring form tin with non-stick baking paper. Place the base mixture in the tin and press gently with fingers until even and then smooth out with the back of a spoon. Bake for 15 minutes or until light golden, set aside.
- 4. To make the filling, place the cream cheese, ricotta, eggs, sugar, lemon rind, juice and vanilla in a food processor. Combine the cornflour and water until smooth and add to the cheese mixture. Process the mixture until smooth.
- 5. Grease the sides of the cake tin with a little butter and then pour the filling over the base. Tap lightly to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 1 hour. Turn the oven off and stand the cake in the oven for 1 hour, leaving the door closed. Refrigerate until cold and serve with fresh berries.
FAST ED’s BAKED CHEESECAKE With Berry Compote ~ Better Homes & Gardens (episode 27) Friday 2nd August 2013
Fast Ed shows you just how easy this cheesecake is to bake…
See the complete list of Fast Ed’s Desserts recipes
More BAKED CHEESECAKE RECiPES:
MY-CHEESECAKE-RECIPES: www.my-cheesecake-recipes.com ~ This website is divided into the following categories: Chilled / No-bake Cheesecakes ~ Cheesecake Slices ~ Low-fat Cheesecake ~ Savoury Cheesecake ~ Articles About Cheesecakes ~ Handy Hints & Tips ~ Temperature Conversion Chart & BAKED CHEESECAKE RECiPES: American Cherry, Apricot Swirl, Baked Banana, Baked Lemon, Baked Orange, Banana Walnut, Banoffee, Butterscotch Pecan, Cappucino, Caramel Vanilla, Cherry Ripe, Chocolate Caramel, Chocolate Supreme, Chocolate Mint, Chocolate Raspberry, Chocolate Raspberry Truffle, Chocolate Ripple, Chocolate Turtle, Christmas, Continental, Coffee, Cranberry, Cream, Dark Chocolate, Florentine Vanilla, French, Hazelnut Cheesecake, Italian Ricotta, Key Lime, Lemon Curd, Lemon Meringue, Lime, Miniature, New York, Peanut Butter, Pumpkin, Raspberry Chocolate Swirl, Raspberry Mousse, Ricotta Berry, Rum Raisin, Snickers, Swiss Chocolate, Trifle, and White Chocolate Cheesecake recipes… see more
CHEESECAKE RECiPE LiNKS:
- Taste Cheesecake Recipes ~ www.Taste.com.au
- Philly Cheesecake Recpes ~ www.Philly.com.au
- All Recipes No Bake Cheesecake Recipes ~ www.AllRecipes.com.au
- Best Recipes No Bake Cheesecake ~ www.BestRecipes.com.au
- Yummly Gluten Free No Bake Cheesecake Recipe & No Bake Raspberry Cheesecake Recipe ~ www.Yummly.com
- Food Cheese Cake Recipes ~ www.Food.Ninemsn.com.au
- Cadbury Kitchen Cheesecakes Chilled Desserts ~ www.CadburyKitchen.com.au
- BBC Good Food Cheesecake Recipes ~ www.BbcGoodFood.com
- Donna Hay Classic Baked Cheesecake Recipe ~ www.DonnaHay.com.au
- Robern Menz FruChocs Cheesecake Recipe ~ www.RobernMenz.com.au
- Coles Mango Cheesecake Recipe ~ www.Recipes.Coles.com.au
- Choco-Moo Cheesecake Recipe ~ www.SBS.com.au/shows/DestinationFlavourJapan
RECiPES & BAKiNG ON TV:
The GREAT AUSTRALiAN BAKE OFF:
The Great Australian Bake Off is an Australian cooking television series that premiers on the Nine Network on the 9th July 2013. The series is based on the BBC baking competition The Great British Bake Off which started on the 17th August 2010. ~ www.TheGreatBritishBakeOff.co.uk
RECiPES TO RiCHES:
Recipe To Riches starts in Australia in August 2013…
Recipe to Riches reality television show originally started in Canada in October 2011, on CBC Television. The show involves cooks from around the country competing to have their home cooked meal recipe become a brand product in supermarkets. A panel of judges critique their food based on taste, mass appeal, and marketing potential.
YouTube video: Recipe to Riches coming to Australia in 2013…
In 2012 Fremantle Media had picked up the rights to the Recipes to Riches format, and commenced production in Australia, Czech Republic and Slovakia. The Recipe to Riches in Australia series went to air on the 27th August 2013 on Network Ten. The Australian series involves cooks from around the country, competing to have their recipe become a brand product in Woolworths supermarkets. Competitors cook their favourite dishes, create a food brand and devise strategies to launch their product to the public. The contestants are mentored by experts: Carolyn Creswell (owner of Carman’s Fine Foods), David Nobay (Droga5 creative chairman), Darren Robertson (chef) & Lizzy Ryley (GM Woolworths).