NiK WALLENDA TiGHTROPE WALK WORLD RECORD OVER The GRAND CANYON
~ Sunday 23rd june 2013 ~
Nik Wallenda became the 1st person in the World to high-wire walk across the Grand Canyon on the 23rd June 2013 (USA). Nik Wallenda crossed the Little Colorado River gorge in Navajo territory outside the Grand Canyon National Park‘s borders.
ABC News YouTube video: Nik Wallenda Crosses 1,500-Foot Grand Canyon Gorge on Tightrope…
ABOUT NiK WALLENDA:
Nik Wallenda was born Nikolas Wallenda in Sarasota, Florida, America on the 24th January 1979. Nik is a 7th-generation member of The Flying Wallendas family of aerialists and circus performers since the 1700s . His ancestors are primarily of Austro-Hungarian descent, and have been doing balancing acts without nets since his direct descendant Karl Wallenda made the family famous in the 1920s. Several members of the family have lost their lives while training or performing, with the troupe’s famous 7 person pyramid collapsing in 1962, killing 2 family members and paralyzing Nik’s uncle Mario. In 1978 Karl Wallenda died after falling from a tight rope at age 73 in Puerto Rico.
Nik Wallenda holds 7 Guinness World Records for various acrobatic feats, but is best known as the 1st person to walk a tightrope stretched over Niagara Falls on the 15th June 2012, and 1st person to high-wire walk across the Grand Canyon on 23rd june 2013.
Nik Wallenda set Guinness World Records for longest and highest bicycle ride on a high-wire 250-foot-long (76 m) ride at 135 feet (41 m) above the ground in New Jersey in 2008. In 2010 Nik set a world record by performing on the Wheel of Death atop the 23 story Tropicana Casino and Resort. Also in 2010 Nik and his mother tightrope walked between the 2 towers of Condado Plaza Hotel in Puerto Rico, which was a re-creation of what had killed his great-grandfather Karl Wallenda. On the 10th June 2011 Nik hung from a helicopter by only his teeth 250 feet (76m) off the ground.
NiK WALLENDA iN THE NEWS:
- CBS NEWS: Nik Wallenda completes tightrope walk across gorge near Grand Canyon (23 June 2013) Aerialist Nik Wallenda completed a tightrope walk that took him a quarter mile over the Little Colorado River Gorge in northeastern Arizona on Sunday… read more
- TODAY.com: He did it! Daredevil Nik Wallenda wire walks across the Grand Canyon (by Scott Stump 23 jUNE 2013) After a tense 22 minutes and 54 seconds of walking the 1,400-foot wire, Wallenda kissed the ground at the finish line and hugged his wife… read more
- REUTERS: Daredevil Nik Wallenda completes high-wire walk across Grand Canyon (by Tim Gaynor 24 June 2013) Daredevil Nik Wallenda completed a historic high-wire walk on a 2-inch (5-cm) steel cable over the Grand Canyon on Sunday and was greeted by wild cheers after his hair-raising stunt… read more
- FOX NEWS: Daredevil Nik Wallenda completes tightrope walk near Grand Canyon (24 June 2013) Aerialist Nik Wallenda completed a tightrope walk that took him a quarter mile over the Little Colorado River Gorge in north eastern Arizona on Sunday… read more
- TELEGRAPH.co.uk: Nik Wallenda crosses Grand Canyon on high wire (by Bonnie Malkin 24 June 2013) A misstep would have meant death for Wallenda, who walked without a safety harness or safety net below him. He carried only a pole for balance and took 22 minutes to walk from one side of the canyon to the other… read more
- WASHiNGTON POST: Nik Wallenda walks tightrope near Grand Canyon ‘for the glory of God’ (by Elizabeth Tenety 24 June 2013) Tightrope walker Nik Wallenda puts his faith in his training, and his God. Sunday night, Wallenda walked across a gorge near the Grand Canyon without a safety harness, successfully completing the act a year after he performed a similar stunt over Niagara Falls… read more
- NEWS.com.au: Nik Wallenda walks tightrope 450m above Grand Canyon (24 June 2013) NO net, no harness. Daredevil Nik Wallenda has just become the first man to walk across the Grand Canyon on a tightrope. As his family watched on, the record-breaker walked 450m above the canyon rigged up with multiple cameras and microphones – without a harness… read more
- ABC.net.au: US daredevil Nik Wallenda walks across Grand Canyon on tightrope (25 June 2013) US tightrope daredevil Nik Wallenda has completed a historic walk across the Grand Canyon on a tightrope suspended more than 450 metres above the ground… read more
NiK WALLENDA ONLiNE:
- Nik Wallenda’s official website: www.NikWallenda.com
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/NikWallendaOfficial
- Twitter: www.Twitter.com/NikWallenda